Sunday 28 May 2017

Night Herons on Lake Kerkini.



One species that I was hoping to get the opportunity to photograph was the [Black-crowned] Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)

I had seen this species on previous trips to the Mediterranean, Morocco and in Bulgaria but the views were often distant or the bird was partly hidden by vegetation. 

This was initially the case in Northern Greece during a drive along the eastern embankment of Lake Kerkini but when we took a guided boat trip out to the drowned forest in the north-eastern corner this all changed.



Their Latin name equates to 'Night Raven', referring to its largely nocturnal feeding habits and crow-like croaking call.

On our approach to the forest I quickly grabbed a few record shots.

Nikos Galios our expert local bird guide and boatman then maneuvered us into a more favourable position for some quality close ups.


Typically perched in their hunched resting position this close encounter certainly made my day.


You can check out the various other species seen during this overseas trip by visiting Wildlife Watching with FAB.

Linking to:
I'D-Rather=B-Birdin'
Wild Bird Wednesday 
Through My Lens

11 comments:

  1. Again, some very good shots, Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, awesome shots and sighting of the Black Crowned Night Heron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, these are exceptional images!!! I especially favor the 2nd one from the top. We have them here; I see them often. But, y'know something? I've never heard their calling. I will now have to pay attention.

    Before I leave your blog, I want to convey my thanks to you for sharing this blog with all us birders over at I'd Rather B Birdin'. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shots are just beautiful, and know you must have been so excited to get close enough to get these photos. Such a beautiful bird

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant shots of gorgious bird, well photographed.
    All the best, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots of the night herons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great that you could photograph this heron.
    This is a heron that I can only see in a zoo.

    Regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Frank,

    I wanted to take a moment today to say that I have enjoyed you blog for several years and it pleases me that you are still active.

    We have seen so many blogs come and go. It does take time and commitment. I have culled off many blogs from my lists because the publishers have moved on for one reason or another.

    Me, I have spent much of my "free" time on my vacuum technology book, and therefore I have not been commenting much.

    I do want you to know that I enjoy coming here and I'm glad you are still actively showing your photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve,

      As one of my earliest 'followers' both here and on 'Wildlife Watching with FAB', formerly 'The Early Birder' I deem it an honour that you continue to keep in touch and I always appreciate your comments.

      I am also at fault for not commenting as often as I used to but be assured that I still review your excellent photography on a regular basis.

      Keep posting my friend ..... FAB.

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I appreciate your comments.