Saturday 20 May 2017

Squacco Heron.


During a very recent birding holiday in Northern Greece I finally managed to get some shots of a Squacco Heron (Ardeola ralloides) a bird I had previously recorded on visits to Bulgaria, Lesvos and Morocco but the views were either distant or fleeting flight memories. 



Fortunately on and around Lake Kerkini this species is a fairly common  summer visitor and passage migrant with around 200 pairs breeding here (2015).

Often located as a buffy brown shape standing still in the waterside vegetation or disturbed into flight as it moves to another location.

When this Heron is stationary there is no hint of the blazing white upper wing colour that is so prominent in flight.
The following shots were all taken at Mandraki Harbour where this individual flew out to perch on the open marsh vegetation fairly close to my viewing position.





And finally a decent flight shot.

You can check out the various other species seen during this overseas trip by visiting Wildlife Watching with FAB.

Linking to:
Saturday's Critters
I'D-Rather-B-Birdin'
Wild Bird Wednesday

16 comments:

  1. Fabulous to see and wonderful shots Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, what a neat heron. It kind of reminds of our night herons. Great images, congrats on your sighting. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this heron but it's gorgeous! Great photos..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Heron!
    I hope you are having a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Extraordinary!! What a beautiful bird. And your photos are fantastic Frank.

    I do thank you so much for sharing this with us birders at I'd Rather B Birdin'...it's always a pleasure visiting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time well spent by the look of those brilliant photos, and you have seen more than me, well done.
    All the best, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant images of the Squacco Heron.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots, Frank. It's such a delicately hued heron.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great photos of an amazing looking bird!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marvelous - what a lovely sea bird!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-beautiful-city-of-jaffa.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Frank,
    This post brings back good memories ;-)
    Greece is fantastic!
    And a Squacco Heron in flight is amazing!
    greetings,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Frank! Great shots! :) The Squacco Heron is a new bird for me to admire. It has beautiful colouring both in repose, and in flight. I asked my daughter to copy my post and make my comment to your post on her computer, as I'm having problems again. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi frank
    Great that you could photograph this Ralreiger.
    A wish of many photographers. Really top!
    Really beautiful pictures.

    Regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helma. It was a very enjoyable and close encounter.

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit and I appreciate your comments.